Menu Close

“Dear Malala…” – Thoughts on Education and Youth Advocacy from Albany Refugee Youth

By: Asavari Gowda

Education is the single most valuable commodity available in our world today. Like many other commodities, its true worth is only appreciated when individuals know what it is like to live without it. The following excerpts were voluntarily contributed by high school students who are part of Albany’s Karen and Congolese Refugee communities. Students were asked to write a letter to Malala on their thoughts and questions about her actions as an advocate for universal educational and gender equality. The powerful statements made by these students are a testament to the value that education holds in their families and communities. Education is a means of upward social mobility, freedom, rights, and validation – it is part of the American Dream that is fervently held onto by immigrant families for their children to have more opportunities and lead better lives than they did. 

“I learned that you were actually pretty young when you started to go against your oppressors and were even the youngest person to get the Nobel Peace Prize. I think it’s inspiring because it shows that even young people can affect the world for the better.” 

– Oluwasegun T.

“You had a belief and you held it with you. Education was something that you didn’t want to give up on. To me, that is very cool and inspiring. You did everything you could to achieve this goal. I’m starting on my own journey now and your story tells me to go for it.” 

– 12th grade student

“If I could change any world problem it would be food scarcity. I would choose this because many people can’t afford food. This affects people in my very own community so it has gotten my attention. One way I could solve this problem is to buy food to give out to the people who need it.”

– Mue

“If your father was not strong about education, do you think you would still be motivated to spread the importance of education? Your story is very touching to me because it taught me ways to be confident in myself. What you went through teaches younger women to not give up on a society that is male-dominated. You even inspire me to pursue my own education.”

– 12th grade student

“You taught me how a small act of courage can lead to a bigger act of courage that can change the world. I’m thinking of studying law in the future so I can bring justice to people. Could you please tell me how to stay motivated and how I can become more courageous? Maybe in the future, I can inspire people just like you did.”

– Hser Nay

“Malala, you have inspired me to stand up for what I believe in. One thing that I am passionate about changing is pollution because it is damaging to the air we are breathing as well as the earth…how did you not give up on the process of everything that you have encountered in your journey?”

– Samira

“Your story on how you stood up to the Taliban was amazing. I agree that girls should be allowed to have an education because education shouldn’t be limited to a specific gender. A world problem I see in the world is the gender wage gap. I feel like women are being overlooked in the work field. If I was to solve this problem I would make it equal pay.”

– Flora

“I learned that in order to get your message across you have to fight for it. I feel very empowered after reading your story, it made me feel like I can follow in your footsteps. I recently found out that techniques and procedures in women’s healthcare are very outdated. With the growth of society women’s health should be able to move along with it. Women should be able to feel less pain when undergoing these procedures. Do you have advice on how to grow as a person and find out who you really are?”

– Tolu T.