Menu Close

Review of the new Peach Pit Album, “From 2 to 3”

Peach Pit, the indie-pop band from Vancouver, has released their new album on March 4th, 2022, titled “From 2 to 3.” This makes the third album of theirs, along with the popular EP titled “Sweet FA.” And, to say the album is fantastic, is an understatement.

Image courtesy of DIY Magazine

Opening up the album is “Up Granville.”  The slow groovy track starts off the album with a great vibe. As of now, this is the most streamed song on this album, with over 3 million more streams compared to the second most popular song, which is “Look Out!”

The second song on the album is “Vickie,” which takes third place with the most streams on the album currently, with around 2.5 million streams on Spotify. This song is definitely faster-paced and more upbeat compared to the opener, with the song being about Neil, the lead singer, and his friend Vickie, and what it would be like to live next door to her. The song shows a lot of the friendship between the two. As of now, this song is quite popular, but for me personally, it might be my least favorite, and I still like it, which says a lot about this album.

The third song on the album is “Lips Like Yours,” which is another slower-paced song that builds up into a more catchy and faster-paced song. This is another song that I really enjoy listening to and found that it reminded me of previous work by Peach Pit. In this song, we hear an array of different instruments, as we do in all of their songs, but one that sticks out the most to me in this song is the guitar. I found it to be really pretty and go along well with the song.

The fourth song on the album is “Pepsi on the House,” which is a more upbeat song, and also reminded me of older Peach Pit music. As with the rest of the album, I really enjoyed this song and felt it would work as a summer day windows down drive type of song (I already added this song to my driving and summer playlists, so will definitely hear it throughout the summer). My favorite part of this song, however, is the chorus. I find it stands out with a change in pitch of Neil Smith’s voice and definitely catches my attention compared to the rest of the song.

The fifth song on the album is “Look Out!” It starts out with an acoustic guitar and some bass, as Smith’s voice comes in. This is another song about love, which seems to be a common theme of the album. Similar to the previous song, I really enjoy the chorus on this song. I’m a big fan of key changes in music, and the chorus has that in this song.

Image courtesy of Georgia Straight

The sixth song on the album is “Everything About You,” which comes out as my second favorite on the album. This one I just found to be a catchy and sweet song, and one that I keep returning to on the album. The song is slower, but the instruments build up as the song goes on, until it fades out at the ending into the next song.

The seventh song on the album is “Give Up Baby Go,” which may be my personal favorite on the whole album. Before I listened to the whole album throughout, I listened to this song because a friend recommended I listened to it when the album came out. I just love the guitar throughout this album, especially the way the song opens up, and also the instrumental at the end of the song.

The eighth song on the album is “Last Days of Lonesome,” which is another slow acoustic guitar-heavy song on the album. We hear a few key changes in this song as well, but overall this is a more simple song on the album and is still really catchy and works well with the theme and sound of the rest of the songs on the album.

The ninth song on the album is “Drips on a Wire.” In this song, it is also more simple like “Last Days of Lonesome,” but I really enjoy the chorus of this song. I find the instruments work well especially the intentional pauses in playing.  My favorite part of this song would be the instrumental around one minute and 56 seconds into the song, which we didn’t hear too many instrumentals throughout the album, so I thought it was nice. We also get a tone change towards the end, where Smith sings in a higher tone compared to the rest of the song.

The tenth song on the album is “2015,” which is a more cheesy love song on the album. Similar to other songs on the album, we hear a few key changes. This song has a longer chorus compared to the other songs, but it’s a simple and catchy song that I could throw on while doing some cleaning.

The closer to the album is the song named after the album, “From 2 to 3,” which is a song about the hours between 2 and 3 A.M, which also happens to be the title track. I found this to be a great, mellow and catchy closer to the feel-good album.

Image courtesy of TicketWeb

Overall, the whole album is very feel-good, and I have found myself listening to it quite often since it was released. I definitely recommend listening to this during the upcoming warmer weather days, as I feel it will be a great album for the summertime!