Menu Close

Thank You, Siena

When I reflect on my time at Siena College, it feels like four years have gone by in a matter of minutes and it makes me think about how malleable time can feel. Full disclosure, I hated it here my freshman year and seriously concerned transferring out. That entire year felt like a lifetime being dragged out before my miserable eyes. However, once I settled in, got involved with things on campus and made the best friends anyone could have, that lifetime turned into seconds before I could even blink. Those moments that seem to go by in the blink of an eye are what I will miss most about this school that has given me so much over the past four years.

I truly credit this college with shaping me into the person I am today. Once I stopped being miserable as a freshman and finally got involved with things on campus, I realized that there were countless doors available to me and all I had to do to be successful was gain the courage to open them. After building up and using that courage, I knew Siena was a place that I could see myself flourish. I have also seen so many others flourish here too and that makes me incredibly proud to be a Siena Saint. While we all joke that Siena is its own little world and some days it really does feel like that, it is also a community where students, faculty and staff are all supporting each other in really beautiful and harmonious ways. I have had the privilege to participate in so many things such as Environmental Club, writing for the Promethean, going on service trips and more and I couldn’t have done all of those things without the support of the Siena community.

Even though I graduate in a few weeks and won’t have the excitement of returning to campus again, I know I will take a little piece of Siena with me everywhere I go. Whether it’s holding the door open for someone at my new job or sharing the Franciscan values I hold close to my heart with new people I meet, I will always be a daughter of Siena and that fills me with an indescribable joy.

I would like to thank some of the people who have made my Siena experience an unforgettable one. Of course, I would not be here without the support of my family who are also proud Siena graduates. My professors and peers in the Environmental Studies and Sciences department have also been a blessing and I thank them for giving me the tools and knowledge to pursue my passions. I would also like to thank all of the other professors I have had who have made an impact on my interests, especially those in the English and philosophy departments. A huge thank you and I love you to all of my friends as well. One of my favorite quotes comes from Chris McCandless, “Happiness is only real, when shared,” and I want to thank you all for letting me share my happiness with you over the years. And lastly a huge thank you to Siena College, these have been the best four years of my life so far and I know the best is yet to come. Thanks to everything you have given me.